Sunday, May 18, 2008

Same quilt, now with fabric!

This weekend is another quilt-a-thon hosted by Judy L and I am trying to get a little something accomplished. So far, I have my blocks stitched together from the quilt I have been blogging about for the last couple posts. I think I am going to try to quilt it in two pieces and then join the pieces together, because I don't have my Handi-quilter frame set up right now. (My tables for the frame are in use by others right now.) This is what it looks like at this point.



The border is not attached, just pinned on the design wall for effect. I can't decide if I want to add the narrow inner border or not. Right now it is missing mostly because my design wall is not large enough to accommodate another border. But I'm not sure it is really needed anyways.

But my real dilemma is this- I don't know if I should quilt the two halves before adding the borders or if I should add the borders to each half and quilt them before joining the two halves of the quilt together. If I add them first, they will have a seam through them. If I add them last they won't, but I will need to manipulate the entire quilt through my sewing machine to do the borders. Does anyone have any experience with quilting in pieces? I would love some helpful tips from someone who has done this before.

Edit: I just noticed that I have a mistake in my quilt top. Do you see it? One of my alternate blocks is turned the wrong direction. Oops! Funny, but I didn't notice it before. I guess I will need to make a little adjustment. I sure am glad I found it before I started quilting.

2 comments:

Rose Marie said...

Love your quilt! I've done a quilt as you go and added the borders in last. They were a bit finicky but turned out OK.

J-fer Rose said...

It is fun to see this actually quilted! I do see the mistake, but it took me quite some time to see it (probably because I started at the top and went down).

I don't have any tips on assembly. I like it both with and without the narrow inner border, but I think I have a slight preference for with the border.

If it makes a lot more work to add the extra border, I don't think the "slight preference" would make it worth the extra work.