Monday, May 31, 2010

Design wall 5/31

Today I am hiding out in my sewing room. It is a quiet refuge in a house full of college kids. My son decided it would be fun to host the annual Memorial Day gathering of his friends. We have a large yard with a pool and a good grill and can easily accommodate a crowd. But the weather is not cooperating. Strong thunderstorms hit this morning, knocking out our power. Fortunately, the power company had it restored around noon. Not that it would have stopped this gang of kids. It has been raining on and off all afternoon, so the kids are all inside my house, broken down into small groups playing cards, board games and video games. I am debating border additions to my lantern quilt top. I would like to make it larger without purchasing extra fabric. This is what I am considering for now. I'm just not sure I like it.

The background fabric would continue behind the zigzag, so that it will keep it's straight edges. To see what others are working on check out Judy's blog.

6 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I like the inside blocks. Very oriental!

a good yarn said...

I like this very much. The only thing I would do is take out that extra background row to balance the top and bottom. Something plain after that - you don't want to compete with that striking zig zag pattern. Perhaps a binding made out of leftover prints. It will be interesting to see what you decide. Ann :-)

Teresa said...

I love your lantern blocks, but I think that border detracts from the lanterns. Maybe if were not right up against the lanters it would be better. I do like the zigzag, but just seems the white space around the lanterns needs to be the same on all four sides. This is so pretty.

Diane said...

very pretty-can't wait to see what you decide to do

Pieceful Jane said...

Thanks for the comments. The uneveness of the background is intentional from the pattern I was following. There would be hanging loops appliqued above the columns of lanterns and tassels below them. That would make the difference less obvious. I like the zigzag look, but I really feel it is too clunky for the rest of the quilt. I will keep playing with ideas for a while.

Teaquilts said...

I love your quilt in progress.