Sunday, February 7, 2010

Design Wall 2-8-10




On my wall today is UFO #8 from my side bar. It is not the UFO for this month. But I came across it as I was moving things to make room for hubby to install my new lighting yesterday. And since there were a bunch of rows pinned and ready to stitch, I finished stitching the rows together yesterday. Now I'm auditioning some border possibilities. On the left is a true red inner border, on the top is gold, and to the right is a berry color. Can't decide.


The mini basket is partially quilted at this point. And my two-block nightmare quilt is awaiting some action. My sister-in-law took a look at the blocks and noticed that I had not trimmed my alternate blocks down to size. That may make the size difference between the two blocks much more workable. DUH. I'm not brain dead. Really.


I figured out how to tame my misbehaving borders on my OP quilt that was last month's UFO. It wasn't lying flat and there seemed to be too much fabric, even though I'm pretty sure I measured properly before I added them. What I ended up doing is taking a gathering stitch all the way along that border. By pulling only the slightest bit on the gathering stitches, I was able to ease the excess so that there is no puckering. The border is quilted and looks great now. In fact, I am in the process of stitching the binding on now. I'll post a photo when it is finished.

Want to see what other quilters are working on? Check out Patchwork Times for links to more design wall Monday posts.

12 comments:

Diane said...

The quilt on your wall it great-what a nice thing to find and partially together too!

Teaquilts said...

I like the gold border as you have a lot of that color in the 9-patches.

Dara in Iowa said...

I like the gold border....

Vicki H. said...

I love the quilts in the photo! How did you get the handles on the basket quilt to sit so perfectly! My basket quilt was a disaster and it goes on the dining room table in the spring but it isn't my best work.

Yea fellow, Michiganders/Michigainians?

lj_cox said...

Call me wacky but I like the three colors of the border together, just like that. I thought it was all sewn together already! Put gold on the fourth side and call it a finish.

Vivian said...

Your quilt is striking. Love the black and both the red and gold borders.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt. Someone will be glad this one was brought back from the UFO pile. In terms of borders, the only one I wouldn't go with is the berry colored one. Looking forward to seeing the finished top.

Nancy Page said...

Wonderful quilt, everything goes together really well.

Have a great day.

Barb in Mi said...

Love your 9-patch! For the borders I would go with one of the red colors - as much as I can see them on my screen.

Cathy said...

I vote for the gold. To my eye, It frames, and picks up the rest of the quilt.

Quilter Beth said...

I love the quilt on your design wall. The black really sets it off. I have a blog on blogspot also (www.quilterbeth.blogspot.com), and I'm wondering if you can tell me how to put something like your UFO Challenge onto a blog. I really like how you have done that. Please email me at bschnellenberger@gmail.com if you could help me out. Thanks.

a good yarn said...

Good for you! You sounds as though you are getting on top of your projects. You have a really good stash of UFOs there. Good result with the troublesome borders and let's hope two-block nightmare becomes two-block dream quilt. Happy Stitching, Ann :-)