Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I feel like I'm in high school again

Recently, I had an opportunity to join an Internet quilt swap. It has been a while since I have done this form of swap but I usually enjoy it. And the particular swap I was signing up for is one that I had wanted to do for over a year. When I saw an announcement that sign-ups were being taken up to a limited number of swappers, I sent in my information and waited to see if I made the cut off.
I got an e-mail reply from the swap hostess questioning my qualifications for the swap. It wasn't my quilting ability that was in question. The swap required active participation in a certain Internet sharing network. I have an account on this network. I use it occasionally. The swap hostess was afraid that I did not post often enough on the network in question. She was concerned that my low chatter and activity on the site would spoil my swap partner's fun. She suggested that I watch from the sidelines this round and try to post more often. Then maybe next time I could join in the swap. Seriously? I feel a bit like the fat kid in gym class that gets picked last. Or like the girl in high school who is shunned by the "in" crowd for not having the right clothes. I don't need this.

7 comments:

SheilaC said...

OH! I am sorry you had such a bad experience....
I haven't tried to join any swaps and luckily everyone I have talked to so far has been sweet.

If I ever host a swap you are more than welcome to join it!!

HUGS
SheilaC

a good yarn said...

I have had one unpleasant swap experience where my swap partner claimed not to have received my parcel. Eventually she acknolwedged receipt but sent nothing in return. I didn't get upset. Not worth it. Perhaps the folks in the group have had a similar experience and are now a bit wary. It's a shame though because they have robbed themselves of the opportunity to add you to their group. Like Sheila, I would be delighted to have you join any swap that I organised. Ann :-)

Jenna Z said...

I think I know which quilt swap you're talking about and I just wanted to tell you not to worry. I have a feeling they are trying to limit the numbers any way they can because in past rounds it has been so HUGE! Not sure how activity on a photo sharing site proves you are more responsible than having and ACTIVE BLOG like you do but they have to set the rules somehow. Don't take it personally, though. I love all your finished objects! Just find a different swap to join. OR! Start your own, I'd be glad to post it on the SwapDex for you. :)

Nancy said...

Obviously alot of the people on that service have nothing to do but sit around and post. I'm like you, I wouldn't bother.

Judy said...

How awful. It does remind me of high school and being the one left out. Something bigger and better is on your horizon you just have to wait for it.

West Michigan Quilter said...

I'm so sorry this happened. I've joined a couple swaps this past year and haven't experienced anything like that. Jane's Fabrics, Aunt Pitty Pats, and Summer Sadie all have good swaps. Check them out. It will be a better experience I'm sure.

Diana said...

Wow, don't let it bug you. Sounds like too many RULES if you ask me. Did they forget it is supposed to be fun? Move on and do something more fun. Good luck!